Don’t Buy It, Grow It. Gardening, Small-scale farming, livestock resources.
General Farming & Homesteading Links
- Free plans for hay/grain storage buildings.
- Agrostats – general data, still evaluating.
- Check out The Modern Homestead, a really good resource for those concerned with how we might feed ourselves in the future. They have a particularly good poultry section too, see it here.
- Another outstanding homesteading-related site with lots of great canning advice, among other useful topics: Creative Homesteading
- Irrigation Tutorials
- Homesteading Today – Useful forums
- Soil & Health Library – great free documents library
High Tunnel & Greenhouse Resources
Canning & Preservation Links
- Preserving Traditions – Yes, We Can!!!
- Speaking of Canning, see Pick Your Own, starting with a great food pH list.
- Really serious about high-volume canning? I’m looking into this small-scale commercial canning setup and will let you know what I find out. So far they seem to be more interested in having me talk to a salesman rather then sending literature….but, we’ll see what we can find out.
- Root Cellaring in the PNW
- The SeedMan
- The New Hope Seed Company.
- Victory Seeds
- The Organic Seed Alliance – Suppliers List
- How To Save Seeds
Pacific NW Gardening Links
Growing Grains in the PNW
- Growing Your Own Wheat – From TMEN
- Data on NORWEST 553 wheat, which outperformed in trials at WSU’s Mt. Vernon facility. This is a hard red winter wheat that is particularly well suited to areas with higher rainfal. Can be purchased (?) at Tristate Seed Company. May also be available at NWGG and Cowhay.com. Possibly Primeland Coop / Cenex?
Growing Corn in Western WA –