ROUBINI: “Well, it’s much worse, because like 2008 you have an economic and financial crisis, but unlike 2008, you’re running out of policy bullets. In 2008, you could cut rates from 5%-6% down to zero, do QE1, QE2, QE3, you could do fiscal stimulus up to 10% of GDP, you could backstop a guarantee bailout of banks and everybody else. Today, more QEs are becoming less and less effective because the problems are of insolvency not illiquidity. Fiscal deficits are already so large that everybody has to cut them, not increase them. And you cannot bail out the banks because 1) there is political opposition to it, 2) governments are near insolvent and they cannot bail out themselves, let alone bail out the banking system.
ARL’s Top Posts
- Top Ten Handguns for Self-Defense – Part II – Semi-Automatic Pistols
- about ARL
- Self-Reliance Index
- Think – Have A Plan – Be Prepared
- Farming, Food & Living Well
- Family & Home
- Do It Yourself – DIY
- Going “Galt”: Is It Really Possible?
- Simplicity & Self-Reliance: In The Convergence Zone
- Where the Rubber Meets the Road: The Original SUV
- Misc. Survival Guides
- Useful Lists
- Just For Fun
- Economics & Market Links
- Self-Reliance Links
- Words to the Wise: Useful Quotes
- Books, Movies & Music We Like
- How Rich Should I Get?
- Involuntary Simplicity: Not Just Another Reality Show
- Welcome to the “Flea Market Economy”
- Life In The “Pie Economy”